Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

On 02.08.2012, at 22:41, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> ... That depends on whether the registry in question is dealing with a
> scarce resource or a plentiful one. Having two registries handing out
> IPv4 addresses at this point would be very very bad. Having more than
> one place you can get an IPv6 from would not worry me at all. ...

IPv4 addresses used to be regarded as non-scarce not so long ago.

It is not about distributing the address space but about keeping a
correct, comprehensive and current registry of address space users.

As others have pointed out the ITU argument is about choice only in name.
It is quite likely that nation states will quickly restrict that choice
once they control one of the 'choices'.

Full disclosure: I helped invent and implement the RIR system. I am employed by the RIPE NCC.

Daniel