Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

In message <FB949BEA-5BDB-401A-8A75-E9A9BDAA72A6@xxxxxxxx>, Daniel Karrenberg w
rites:

> On 02.08.2012, at 22:41, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> > ... That depends on whether the registry in question is dealing with a
> > scarce resource or a plentiful one. Having two registries handing out
> > IPv4 addresses at this point would be very very bad. Having more than
> > one place you can get an IPv6 from would not worry me at all. ...
>
> IPv4 addresses used to be regarded as non-scarce not so long ago.

I don't know what planet you have been living on but it was clear
IPv4 addresses were a scarce resource 2+ decades ago longer than
some IETF attendees have been alive.  IPv6 was started because they
were a scarce resource that would run out in the foreseeable future.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx