Re: Basic ietf process question ...

Hello Brian,

That's an enormous leap that I just don't understand. Most protocols don't
need that sort of configuration complexity.

Hmmmm I am of the opinion that most protocols requires configuration. I am also of the opinion that each vendor chooses an original way to configure their network elements.

Therefor if you do not define up front a standard based of configuring given routing protocol you will end up with exactly what we have today .. zoo of various different CLI commands to enable the exact same protocol across more then one vendor box.

Are you saying that this is ok ?

Or are you saying that there is simpler way to enable netconf based unified way to configure protocols and services on your network other then providing per component "xml schema" with subsequent schema extensions as part of IETF standardization process ?

To make it a bit more explicit ... do you really need to study 5 user manuals or google 5 times to enable IGP or BGP or even configure NTP across 5 different router OS running in your network ???

> Again: no problem with creating XML schemata where they are useful.
> But making them mandatory would be just as bad as making MIB modules
> mandatory, IMHO.

Aha .. so you are saying that MIBs are not mandatory .... Very interesting. So I guess SSH to the routers and box by box cli provisioning is here to stay for a while I think :(

Best regards,
R.