Re: Oauth blog post

Hi Murray,
At 09:13 AM 8/2/2012, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
I think it's impossible to determine with certainty whether someone standing at the mic and asserting a position is doing so based on what an employer is insisting on doing, or that person's opinion.

Yes.

We purport to participate as individuals. It's entirely possible that a person's opinion happens to concur with her employer's opinion rather than being told what to say. Does that mean the corporation is the participant and not the person?

As the participation is as an individual the participant is the person. In practice the person usually acts as a proxy for their employee. A hum can be taken for some decisions so that the individual can express his or her opinion without any external pressure.

So when I hear these sorts of allegations of corporate domination of the standards process, I have to wonder how true they are. I have a pretty big corporate name on my badge this time, but I'm not here pushing any specific agenda I was given.

I have not seen your badge. I can find out what pretty corporate name is on it by looking up the information on the relevant web page. :-)

These comments about corporate domination generally comes down to perception. The problem in my humble opinion is mistrust. It can be caused by miscommunication.

Regards,
-sm