Re: Oauth blog post

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM, SM <sm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Hannes,

At 12:19 PM 7/29/2012, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
The IETF allows open participation and, as such, everyone, including companies that develop enterprise software, are free to participate in the discussions.

Do you think open participation is wrong?

It depends on what open participation means in the above.  If it is open participation by companies, I don't have any problem with it as long as the relevant BCPs are updated to reflect that.

I think it's impossible to determine with certainty whether someone standing at the mic and asserting a position is doing so based on what an employer is insisting on doing, or that person's opinion.

We purport to participate as individuals.  It's entirely possible that a person's opinion happens to concur with her employer's opinion rather than being told what to say.  Does that mean the corporation is the participant and not the person?

So when I hear these sorts of allegations of corporate domination of the standards process, I have to wonder how true they are.  I have a pretty big corporate name on my badge this time, but I'm not here pushing any specific agenda I was given.

-MSK