Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

This is a complex topic and one where it's easy to be naive or even
dismissive if one hasn't experienced stuff themselves or worked with
people who have.

If this conversation was about IETF culture, and how it's hard for
non-Americans to participate "IETF style", I bet folk would much more
quickly recognize some of the real issues.

If folk really want to dive, http://www.ncwit.org/ is a good place to
start.

For the IETF, I think that interested folk might want to form an ad
hoc support/networking group and *especially* see about putting
together some sort of mentoring program. I'm sure if there was a way
for potential mentors to volunteer, there would be a good number of
interested volunteers (myself included). Growing a next generation of
leaders is something the entire IETF should do more of.

Thomas