Re: Is the IETF aging?

Security could very well be an area that faces rather different
challenges to other areas.

It is pretty different to the other areas in that it is rather more
intimidating than most and there are many other forums where decisions
are made. The IETF doesn't even own X.509, that is ITU, it doesn't own
the practices criteria, that is CABForum. New security protocols tend
to be proposed in W3C or OASIS.

It also tends to be inward looking rather than outward. There is a
tendency for the IETF security area to spend its time stopping IETF
proposing insecure protocols rather than developing the security
infrastructure. Not adding to the store of broken-ness is good, but
that is not what the younger security engineers want to spend their
time doing. They want to make changes to the PKI infrastructure they
work on themselves.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/