Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

Martin,

Let me try to restate this with the understanding that I'm
talking about what is convenient and/or necessary for carrying
on the work of the IETF and not trying to interpret German law.
I will accept your interpretation as stated but, if that
interpretation is correct, I believe the IETF should not meet
there while those provisions are in effect unless at least one
of the following conditions arises:

(i) the IETF can reasonably require that people give permission
--irrevocable for the length of time they are at the meeting --
as needed to permit the IETF to do things that are considered
convenient of necessary.  That is still voluntary in the sense
that attending the meeting is voluntary and still revocable by
leaving the meeting and not coming back-- one can just decide
that, if one doesn't want to volunteer to permit one's picture
to be taken, one can't attend the meeting.  If you are saying
that it is illegal to impose a condition that binds the two
together, that is fine: unless the other condition applies, we
shouldn't be meeting in Germany.  I presume, by asserting that
such a binding is not permitted, you are also asserting that
corporate ID badges with pictures on them have disappeared from
Germany or are discretionary on a per-employee basis because a
corporate requirement that, in order to remain employed, one
must wear such a badge wouldn't be voluntary either.

(ii) The IETF concludes that it doesn't need what I think is
reasonable and, in particular, that if I need to record who has
his or her hands up in a WG poll, it is better for me to take
the time to send people through the room asking for and writing
down names than to take pictures.  Note that an extra checkmark
on the blue sheets or an RFID walk-by doesn't work, because part
of my goal is to have everyone in attendance at the WG meeting
able to see who (else) has her hand up.

I have almost no preference between the two.  I do care that, as
WG Chair, I'm not expected to manage things in an environment in
which I can ask for volunteers or commitments without being able
to establish who made them.  And, if the second choice above is
the choice of the community, I believe I have the reasonable
right to expect that I can ask for WG slots a half-hour longer
than I would otherwise need and expect to get it, even if that
means an extra half-day or day of meetings.

   john

--On Wednesday, 25 April, 2012 00:17 +0200 Martin Rex