Re: [83attendees] Usual recreational venue diatribe (was Ground transportation from/to CDG)

On 15 Mar 2012, at 11:47 , Shane Kerr wrote:

> Yet we know based on country attendance statistics that people attend
> meetings in their region much more than where they have to travel a
> great distance. So even if cost is not a huge factor, SOMETHING is.

Not everyone goes to every meeting. Obviously for those of us who only go to some of them, it makes more sense to go to ones that are less costly/inconvenient.

> Maybe this is something that could be tried in a smaller scale first,
> for interim meetings or suchlike?

If we're going to do experiments, I think there are better ones that we could do.

One obvious one is video streaming rather than just audio streaming. Video that is good enough to read the slides would be very helpful.

The next step would be for remote participants to send audio and preferably video back for asking questions and doing remote presentations.

And we should also figure out that the purpose of the jabber rooms is / should be.