Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting-08.txt> (SPF Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format) to Proposed Standard

On Thursday, March 01, 2012 07:14:20 PM Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

Replied seprately.  I think it should stay as it is.

> >    "particular because a message arrived via an unauthorized route.
> >
> >     To generate a complete address to which the report is sent, the
> >     verifier simply appends to this value an "@" followed by the
> >     SPF domain per paragraph 4.1 of [SPF]."
> >
> > RFC 4408 uses the term "SPF-compliant domain".
>
> That's fine with us.

Done in my local copy

> > In Section 5.1:
> >    "New registrations or updates MUST be published in accordance with
> >    the
> >
> >     "Specification Required" guidelines as described in
> >     [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS].  New registrations and updates MUST
> >     contain
> >     the following information:"
> >
> > I suggest not using RFC 2119 key words in the IANA Considerations
> > section unless there are interoperability issues with IANA.
>
> We'll change "MUST" to "are to be".

Done in my local copy

> >    "current:  The field is in current use
> >
> >     deprecated:  The field is in current use but its use is
> >
> >        discouraged"
> >
> > The difference in "current use" can end up being problematic for the
> > designated expert.

Done in my local copy.

> A number of registries are using this wording already and there's been no
> objection to date.  Do you have a better suggestion?
> > In Section 6:
> >   "Security issues with respect to these reports are similar to those
> >
> >    found in [DSN]."
> >
> > The reference to DSN could be normative.

Replied separately.  I think it should stay the way it is.

> Security Considerations are never normative, so I'm not sure I agree that
> this should be.
> >    "The HELO/EHLO command SHOULD also be selected so that it
> >
> >     will pass [SPF] HELO checks."
> >
> > I could not understand what to do about the above recommendation.
> > FWIW, the command is specified in RFC 5321.  That specification is not
> > referenced by this draft.
>
> Yes, that needs to be clarified, the reference added, and the typo in the
> section title needs correction.

I agree I should add the reference to 5321.  Is informative sufficient (I don't
think any detailed understand of Mail From or EHLO/HELO is necessary to
implement this spec).

I can see the construction is awkward, but I'm not sure how to make it better.
I'd appreciate suggestions.

On Thursday, March 01, 2012 04:01:20 PM Barry Leiba wrote:
> >>    "current:  The field is in current use
> >>
> >>     deprecated:  The field is in current use but its use is
> >>        discouraged"
> >>
> >> The difference in "current use" can end up being problematic for the
> >> designated expert.
> >
> > A number of registries are using this wording already and there's been
> > no
> > objection to date.  Do you have a better suggestion?
>
> I suggest, "The field might still be in use, but its use is discouraged."

Done in my local copy.

Scott K