RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting-08.txt> (SPF Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format) to Proposed Standard

As for your non-procedural concerns:

> I'll avoid commenting on the technical angle.  Here are some editorial
> comments:
>
> In Section 3:
>
>    "There exist cases in which a domain name owner employing [SPF] for
>     announcing sending practices may want to know when messages are
>     received via unauthorized routing."
>
> I suggest not using the term "domain name owner" to side-step the
> question of domain "ownership".

Would "ADMD" and an informative reference to RFC5598 be more appropriate?

>    "particular because a message arrived via an unauthorized route.
>     To generate a complete address to which the report is sent, the
>     verifier simply appends to this value an "@" followed by the
>     SPF domain per paragraph 4.1 of [SPF]."
>
> RFC 4408 uses the term "SPF-compliant domain".

That's fine with us.

> In Section 5.1:
>
>    "New registrations or updates MUST be published in accordance with the
>     "Specification Required" guidelines as described in
>     [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS].  New registrations and updates MUST contain
>     the following information:"
>
> I suggest not using RFC 2119 key words in the IANA Considerations
> section unless there are interoperability issues with IANA.

We'll change "MUST" to "are to be".

>    "current:  The field is in current use
>
>     deprecated:  The field is in current use but its use is
>        discouraged"
>
> The difference in "current use" can end up being problematic for the
> designated expert.

A number of registries are using this wording already and there's been no objection to date.  Do you have a better suggestion?

> In Section 6:
>
>   "Security issues with respect to these reports are similar to those
>    found in [DSN]."
>
> The reference to DSN could be normative.

Security Considerations are never normative, so I'm not sure I agree that this should be.

>    "The HELO/EHLO command SHOULD also be selected so that it
>     will pass [SPF] HELO checks."
>
> I could not understand what to do about the above recommendation.
> FWIW, the command is specified in RFC 5321.  That specification is not
> referenced by this draft.

Yes, that needs to be clarified, the reference added, and the typo in the section title needs correction.

Thanks,
-MSK