Re: Last Call: <draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt> (Allocation of an Associated Channel Code Point for Use by ITU-T Ethernet based OAM) to Informational RFC

>>> Right now, there is no ITU-T approved document to reference.
>>> I am certainly not an expert on ITU-T process, but my
>>> understanding is that earliest that we could see an approved
>>> G.8113.1 is December 2012.  My point is that we don't want to
>>> assign a code point until the ITU-T approves their document.
>>> However, if we are willing to assign a code point to G.8113.1
>>> once it is approved, then this would be an approach where the
>>> code point assignment would block on the approval of the
>>> normative reference.
>>>
>>> I like this approach from the political point of view.  With
>>> this approach the IETF tells the ITU-T that if and only if
>>> they are able to achieve consensus on G.8113.1, then a code
>>> point will be assigned.
>> FWIW, this seems entirely appropriate to me.  If we do it this
>> way, I think it is important to note --for the benefit of those
>> more historically involved with the ITU and others-- that we
>> routinely block our own documents on normative references to
>> work that is still in progress and, usually, do not do related
>> code point allocations until the blocking referenced documents
>> are ready.  Once the present I-D is judged to be sufficiently
>> ready, this approach would therefore be IETF approval and a
>> formal guarantee to the ITU that a code point will be allocated
>> if an when G.8113.1 is approved and published, but not
>> assignment of that code point until the referenced base document
>> is finished.
>>
>> Completely normal procedurally.
>>
> To be clear John our normal requirement would be that the
> technical community achieved consensus that the base document
> was ready. I have never seen ITU-T consensus on the contents
> of G.8113.1 at any meeting that I have observed. What in your
> view is the criteria for determining that  G.8113.1 has achieved
> consensus?

This is not an IETF problem, and I do not think that the IETF ought to be discussing the internal workings of the ITU-T process.  The point is to come up with a mechanism that allows the code point to be assigned if and only if the ITU-T does come to a consensus by whatever means is allowed by their own process.

Russ