Re: Variable length internet addresses in TCP/IP: history

On 2/16/2012 6:46 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:
Why?  Apart from the fact that if this transition is painful, the next
one will be well-nigh impossible, having more bits lets us find creative
ways to use the address space.

Not to single out Steve, but my recollection is that that view was at the core of much of the thinking about v6, certainly in the early-/mid-90s. "We only get this one (last) opportunity to make changes, so we'd better add everything we think we'll (ever) need."

The view is wrong.

Changing an established infrastructure is of course (a lot) more difficult and expensive than creating a new one, but infrastructures can and do get changed.

There is a difference between saying "we need to make all of the changes that we know we need now, versus saying we need to anticipate all of the changes we are going to need to make."

Steve's phrasing points to the latter and that winds up as a fantasy exercise which adds complexity and delay. It also tends to add the wrong things in the wrong way.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking