Re: Backwards compatibility myth [Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt>]

    > From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>

    > The design error was made in the late 1970s, when Louis Pouzin's advice
    > that catenet addresses should be variable length, with a format prefix,
    > was not taken during the design of IPv4.

Ironically, TCP/IP had variable length addresses put in _twice_, and they were
removed both times! (You can't make this stuff up! :-)

- TCPv1 (no separate TCP and IP at that point) had variable lenth addresses
	of up to 15 4-bit nibbles

- TCP/IPv3 had variable lenth addresses of up to 15 8-bit bytes (but the
	'network number' part was supposed to be only the first byte, exactly
	like IPv4 in its early days)

This latter change happened shortly before I joined the project, otherwise no
doubt I would have strenously objected! :-)

	Noel