Re: encouraging compliance with IPR disclosure rules

Hi SM,

WG chairs are responsible for bringing their wg activities to successful
and timely completion.  My reading of the IETF policy documents indicates
they are *not* responsible for IPR compliance, and the draft Peter and I
wrote is not intended to change that.

However, IPR disclosure issues always have a negative impact on the
working group's progress.  IMHO, it is in the WG chairs interest to
encourage compliance with IPR rules so that it doesn't negatively impact
their wg activities.  I won't speak for other WG chairs, but I did not
have a strategy to promote IPR disclosure compliance when I was a chair,
and it bit me more than once.  The document suggests several strategies
that a proactive chair could employ to support that goal.

You are certainly correct that WG chairs interact with most IETF
participants more than ADs.  ADs are included in the text you quoted since
they handle publication of individual submissions on the IETF stream.  In
my version of a perfect world, the AD would not worry about IPR compliance
for WG documents since the WG chairs would have employed one or more of
these strategies to at least avoid accidental non-compliance.  However,
the AD might choose to run these strategies themselves to head off similar
problems with individual submissions.

Thanks,

Tim