RE: Protocol Definition

What you say is true of "communication or network protocols."

The statement below was written in the context of the wider use of the word protocol (and what you would probably find in the dictionary) in the fields of biology, chemistry, and diplomacy.

In this case, one could view our use of the term as a specialization of the general use. After all, a network protocol is a distributed algorithm. The communicating peers only make sense together.