Re: Protocol Definition

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave CROCKER" <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 4:17 AM

> On 1/5/2012 7:10 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> > I suspect that the "correct" choices depends upon how you look at the
analogy.
> > What seemed to me the closest analog to "process" would be the actual
messages
> > on the wires.
>
> Nah.  A message on the wire is a single unit in an activity.  And taken on its
> own, in the host or on the wire, it's actually static.
>
> It isn't the activity.  A process is an activity.  The challenge is a term for
> the /flow/ of messages.
>
> It would be nice if it were a single word.

I agree that a message is not the right word, but I think that protocol is:-)
'Protocol' started as the draft treaty that formed part of diplomatic exchanges,
ie it was the physical manifestation, not the abstract concept, so I would use
it in that sense for networking.

For the abstract side of networking, I would use the same terminology as I would
use for a 'program'.  After all, a network is just a single, multi-tasking
system in which the 'links' that tie together the multiple tasks have been
stretched a little and made manifest so I use the same constructs, the same
tools - eg state machines - for both.  In a multi-tasking operating system, you
will have post and wait and some such, in a network you have send and receive
and some such, same difference.

Tom Petch