RE: Netfilter (Linux) Does IPv6 NAT

Hi Martin,

The assumption that information is present only within the IP address is erroneous.
This has been studied for mobile IPv6 users as well, and there is information leakage up and down the stack.

We have local source address selection mechanisms in recent Windows versions that use randomized IIDs on outbound connections today.  This doesn't prevent exposure of the information regarding the internal network structure, but nor do firewalls at publically addressed IPv4 institutions today.

Putting NATs on the path just causes the device inside the network to be unaware of its presented addresses, which means that it will impede peer-to-peer communications, as it cannot even describe its available services without external information services.

This is the awful situation in IPv4 today:  Address scarcity is not the problem, addressability is the problem.

Greg Daley