Re: Netfilter (Linux) Does IPv6 NAT

Greg Daley wrote:

> The assumption that information is present only within the IP address
> is erroneous.
> This has been studied for mobile IPv6 users as well,
> and there is information leakage up and down the stack.

Your reasoning is obviously flawed.

Having a temporary dynamic IP address assigned will not prevent any
negligent or privacy-ignorant protocols and apps higher up the stack
to reveal identifying information about you.

But _without_ a temporary dynamic IP address, each and every of your
network communcation will be 100% identifyable as you for everybody that
can oberserve you IP datagrams floating by, even when you're using IPSEC.

> We have local source address selection mechanisms in recent Windows
> versions that use randomized IIDs on outbound connections today.
> This doesn't prevent exposure of the information regarding the
> internal network structure, but nor do firewalls at publically
> addressed IPv4 institutions today.

I fail to understand what you mean by "randomized IIDs".
What you need is a temporary network address randomized by you ISP
so that your address blends within the entire customer base
of that ISP.

> Putting NATs on the path just causes the device inside the network
> to be unaware of its presented addresses, which means that it will
> impede peer-to-peer communications, as it cannot even describe its
> available services without external information services.

Asking your border router for the temporary external IP-Address is
trivial compared to performing a secure DNS lookup.

> This is the awful situation in IPv4 today:  Address scarcity
> is not the problem, addressability is the problem.

It is a problem for which solutions exists or can be built with
moderate effort.  Privacy is a much more serious problem today,
and without temporary dynamic addresses assigned by the ISP
privacy can no longer exist.

-Martin