Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

On 12/4/11 11:06 , Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> Yes, I know that mobile networks have started going that way - which
> is why I asked the question.

It's not a question of starting. outside of some small number of
developed economies mobile carriers and a number of wireline providers
were always depolyed that way, or out of squat space however bad an idea
that may have been.

>  The reason we (the IETF) cannot
> possibly pick the same RFC1918 address space is because those mobile
> networks now have the problem I described: when you try to run your
> VPN client on that laptop, if your employer's Enterprise private
> network happens to use the same private address space as the mobile
> provider, it no workie. (assuming the VPN connection succeeds to
> begin with, of course)

the vpn connection is going to work, it's being established against a
public endpoint. the risk for a collision between the resulting routing
tables is scoped to the netmask of that outside interface.

enterprises have a lot of experience with this, it's a necessary
consequence of supporting mobile users whether they are wireless or in
hotels.