From: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
John E Drake
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 7:17 AM
To: Huub helvoort; Adrian Farrel
Cc: itu-t-liaisons@xxxxxxx;
draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; The IESG;
Ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Request to publish
draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-01.txt

Huub,

In your email, below, you state:

"This protocol has been defined in the ITU-T and should not be
considered to be a MPLS protocol and therefore should not subject to the
provisions of RFC 4929."

The subject protocol is used to provide OAM for MPLS networks.  You seem
to be saying that because this protocol was developed by the ITU, it is
not subject to the provisions of RFC 4929.  However, it is my
understanding that RFC 4929 was put in place in order to ensure that all
enhancements to MPLS are done in the IETF using the process defined in
RFC 4929.  Perhaps rather than asserting that it is exempt from RFC
4929, you could share the reasoning that leads you to this assertion?

You also state:

"It does not make any proposals to modify the MPLS data plane forwarding
behaviour or of the any IETF defined protocols.  Therefore, review by
the MPLS WG is not required."

However, it is my understanding that the subject protocol is the same as
that defined in 'MPLS-TP OAM based on Y.1731' (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731-07).  As I am
sure you are aware, that protocol was fully discussed by the MPLS
working group at both the Maastricht and Beijing meetings, and was
explicitly rejected by the working group.

Doesn't this request for a code point for the subject protocol without
review by the MPLS working group constitute an attempt to circumvent the
decision made by that working group?

I call on the nominated AD to redirect this work to the MPLS working
group using the MPLS change process.

Thanks,

John

Of
> Huub helvoort
> Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:17 PM
> To: Adrian Farrel
> Cc: draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; The IESG;
> Ietf@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Request to publish draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-01.txt
>
> Document Writeup for draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-01.txt
>
> As required by RFC-to-be draft-iesg-sponsoring-guidelines, this is the
> current template for the Document Shepherd Write-Up for individual
> submissions via the IESG.
>
> Changes are expected over time. This version is dated February 5,
2007.

> --
>
>   (1.a) Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Has the
>         Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
>         document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
>         version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?
>
> Huub van Helvoort (Huub.van.Helvoort@xxxxxxxxxx)
> Yes, I have reviewed the document and I believe it is ready for
> forwarding to the IESG to be published.
>
>   (1.b) Has the document had adequate review both from key members of
>         the interested community and others? Does the Document
Shepherd