Re: Plagued by PPTX again

--On Monday, November 28, 2011 21:42 +0100 Henrik Levkowetz
<henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> One small suggestion, partially prompted by my attempts to
>> convert PDF and Postscript RFCs to PDF/A: when the converter
>> cannot or does not succeed in producing valid PDF/A, could
>> that fact be logged in some accessible place?
>
> I would if I could; the problem is that the converter produces
> a pdf document without giving any indication that the result
> won't validate as PDF/A

That is what I believe is called "broken".  I hope someone can
make a problem report.

> -- it's only when trying it with one
> of the online validators that I get a message that it fails
> validation.  If at some point I find a (free) command-line
> validator, I can however easily run it on the existing corpus
> and get the desired information.

If the best (or only) way to handle this is via pos-production
validation, then we can presumably do that at any time... and
validators will probably get better over time too.

Suggestion withdrawn.

thanks for considering it.

>> Also, mostly out of curiosity, does "unoconv" produce profile
>> 1a or profile 1b?
>
> The validator tells me that the files which validate does so
> against both A-1a and A-1b, which if I understand things
> correctly indicate that it's 1a-compliant, since 1b is a
> subset of 1a.  This also matches what libreoffice is supposed
> to produce.

Yes.  Without going down that rathole, I think (haven't studied
the issue closely enough to be confident) A-1b would be good
enough for our purposes so it may be vaguely possible that the
files actually are 1b-conformant.  Not worth worrying about
until and unless we are ready to get really serious about this,
establish specific norms, etc.    I don't see that happening
really soon despite the recent discussions.

best,
   john