Re: Plagued by PPTX again

Hi John,

On 2011-11-28 19:40 John C Klensin said the following:

> --On Monday, November 28, 2011 19:20 +0100 Henrik Levkowetz
> <henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've set the converter ('unoconv', which uses libreoffice) up
>> to convert to PDF/A, but the converter doesn't always fully
>> succeed in producing valid PDF/A (also mentioned by Robinson
>> in one of his posts) -- the result still works fine in the
>> viewer I've tested, though.
>
> Henrik,
>
> This is wonderful.  Many thanks.
>
> One small suggestion, partially prompted by my attempts to
> convert PDF and Postscript RFCs to PDF/A: when the converter
> cannot or does not succeed in producing valid PDF/A, could that
> fact be logged in some accessible place?

I would if I could; the problem is that the converter produces a
pdf document without giving any indication that the result won't
validate as PDF/A -- it's only when trying it with one of the online
validators that I get a message that it fails validation.  If at
some point I find a (free) command-line validator, I can however
easily run it on the existing corpus and get the desired information.

> If, at some point in
> the future, we decided to push PDF/A harder, it would be handy
> to know what existing files needed attention and why, rather
> than having to discover that the hard way.

Understood, but right now the only avenue open to me for this is
manual checking with one of the online validators :-(

> Also, mostly out of curiosity, does "unoconv" produce profile 1a
> or profile 1b?

The validator tells me that the files which validate does so against
both A-1a and A-1b, which if I understand things correctly indicate
that it's 1a-compliant, since 1b is a subset of 1a.  This also
matches what libreoffice is supposed to produce.

Best regards,

	Henrik