Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

On Nov 29, 2011, at 7:57 AM, Russ Housley wrote:

> +1
>

> On Nov 29, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Bradner, Scott wrote:
>
>> to be pedantic - a BCP stands for the best way we know how to do something
>> it is not required that the process actually be in use before the BCP is adopted
>>
>> as Mike O'Dell once said, if BCPs had to reflect what was actually being done we
>> could never have a BCP defining good manners on the IETF mailing list
>>
>> see RFC 2026 - it says
>>  The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to
>>  standardize practices and the results of community deliberations.  A
>>  BCP document is subject to the same basic set of procedures as
>>  standards track documents and thus is a vehicle by which the IETF
>>  community can define and ratify the community's best current thinking
>>  on a statement of principle or on what is believed to be the best way
>>  to perform some operations or IETF process function.
>>
>> i.e, the IETF's "best current thinking" on the "best way" to do something - not
>> 'describing the way something is done'

You stopped the excerpt from 2026 too soon on both ends; "the community's best current thinking on a statement of principle". Ron already said that the community didn't agree on a clear "best current thinking", and the document very clearly says that this is meant to be a new allocation of addresses, not "a statement of principle".

If the IESG wants to weasel around the actual words in RFC 2026, that's fine: this wouldn't be the first time. However, there is also an opportunity to be more honest and call it a Proposed Standard.

--Paul Hoffman