Re: Requirement to go to meetings

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> --On Sunday, October 23, 2011 07:05 -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
> <msk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> ... I also am very familiar with the fact that getting work done
>> on lists can be a real challenge: People get sidetracked and can
>> take days, weeks, or even months to answer something that's
>> holding up a working group.

   But _why_ is that something "holding up a working group"?

>> If you're sitting on a mailing list and someone asks you to
>> provide a document review by some date and you say nothing,
>> there's no indication of whether or not you even got the
>> request.  If you're sitting in a meeting room and someone asks
>> you to provide a document review by some date, that person is
>> likely to get an answer from you right away.

   But is that "right-away" answer necessarily useful?

>> In short: Meetings don't stall, but lists do.

   I have seen many meeting stall. :^(

   Fortunately, they end. ;^)

   We're stuck with human nature here, and human nature tends to
put things off until the "last minute". Meetings "work better"
because they start and end at known times.

> Murray, fwiw, your analysis doesn't require f2f meetings.  If it
> could be done, well-conducted virtual/remote meetings would work
> as well because they, too involve fixed cutoffs, real-time
> responding, etc.

   I bring to your attention an existence proof: the IESG.

   For years they've been doing the vast bulk of entirely-too-much
work over "telechats". They _have_ fixed cutoffs, real-time
not be responding. Et cetera...

   IMHO, we shouldn't dwell on why face-to-face meetings work better:
we should admit they really don't work well enough.

   I follow far too many (heck, one would be too many!) WGs where
the only cutoff is the I-D submission deadline before IETF week.
We're all seeing the ritual announcement in WG lists right now:
"If you'd like to present something, tell us!"

   WG chairs put so much effort into trying to make IETF-week
meetings work well that you really can't blame them for relaxing
a bit after IETF week completes. But too often, the momentum is
lost: WGCs have assigned responsibilities to folks who did show
up; and they too are exhausted by the end of IETF week. Finally,
they are roused by the I-D submission deadline for the next IETF
week.

   :^(

   I follow other WGs where there are Interim Meetings. The result
is much happier -- quite possibly _mostly_ because of the added
cutoff.

   Admittedly, the face-to-face Interims work better than virtual
Interims; but I'm not convinced that would still be the case if
instead of one face-to-face we had three or more virtual Interims.
There is a definite learning-curve working with conferencing
software, but once you've climbed this it works well enough. And
the additional cutoffs, IMHO, accomplish almost as much as the
meetings themselves! ;^)

   My advice is to put more effort into formal scheduling of
Interim meetings (probably mostly virtual Interims). Currently
these are treated as exceptional events needing AD approval:
while I agree AD-approval probably belongs there, I'd wish we
could treat them as "normal" events.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>