Re: Requirement to go to meetings

On 10/22/11 23:26 , Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 10/21/2011 7:58 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
>>  It's increasingly the case that if you
>> want to do work at the IETF, you need to go to meetings. I'd have
>> considerable reservations about asking for the kind of money you're
>> suggesting.
>

> Melinda,
>
> I've changed the subject line because the point you raise is orthogonal
> to the main thread, but since you raise it, it's worth exploring a bit
> (since I happen to agree with your observation.)
>
> The dynamics that make this true seem to have to do with changes in our
> community rather than in the nature of the technical work or the online
> tools.
>
> So the question is how to move the center of gravity back to mailing lists?

So, I'm a co-chair of a rather busy working group with a lot of remote
participants, and I'm reasonably convinced that the center of gravity is
the mailing list, this despite occasionaly needing three meetings to get
through our agenda.

I will observe having scribed for the same working group, that remote
participation via the mailing list is a dramatically larger number of
particpants than during the meeting itself.