Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-12

--On Sunday, October 23, 2011 07:11 +0100 Dave CROCKER
<dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Remember, in UTF-8, characters can be multiple octets. So 998
>> UTF-8 encoded *characters* are likely to be many more than
>> 998 octets long. So the change is to say that the limit is in
>> octets, not in characters.
>

> The switch in vocabulary is clearly subtle for readers.  (I
> missed it too.)
>
> I suggest adding some language that highlights the point,
> possibly the same language as you just used to explain it.

In addition to what might be useful/ necessary for readers of
5335bis, in retrospect, we ought to have a prominent comment in
one of the more generic i18n documents that highlights the fact
that the, once one moves beyond ASCII, length-in-characters and
length-in-octets, can no longer be assumed to be the same.  When
one is actually talking about storage length,
length-in-characters should be prohibited from our vocabulary
going forward.  That would actually make an interesting
extension to a nits-checker if someone could figure out how to
do it or, at least, a flag to the RFC Editor about something
they should watch out for.

    john