Re: Anotherj RFP without IETF community input

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 03:02 PM, Acee Lindem wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 20, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>
>> One thing to consider is charging for this service
>>
>> I have no problem paying some fee to the IETF in order to get better
>> remote participation capability when I am unable to travel to the location
>> chosen.
>>
>> I would much rather pay $200-$300 to have good remote attendance
>> capability (video etc.) than get by on 'free'.
>>
>> This would be assuming that there would be some markup on the remote
>> attendance cost to finance the secretariat etc.
>>
>> I disagree. If the remote participation service is high quality, it should
>> require the same registration fee structure as on-site participation.
>
> Why? Presumably a significant portion of the registration fee goes to pay
> the venue for use of its space, for food and beverages, and other costs that
> remote participants don't incur.

I think it is fair to say that the costs will clearly be _different_.
Remote participants won't get cookies,
but might require technical support, for example. I think it is too
early to say how that
should be reflected in charging for a premium service.

Regards
Marshall