Re: [IAOC] Anotherj RFP without IETF community input (was: Re: RFP for Remote Participation Services Specifications Development)

John,

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the RFP that aren't part of the RFP.  Or perhaps you are reading between the lines.  For example that the RFP will only be sent to the IETF list, that we won't allow non-IETFers to bid, that no discussion will occur between who ever does this work and the community, that the requirements are fixed, that the conclusions are pre-determined, etc., etc.

The goal of the RFP is to hire someone who will investigate the problem, talk to many people, analyze the data, and make a proposal for what is doable.  The RFP is not a specification of the outcome.  We want to hire someone who will think about the problem space and make a proposal for the functions that should be present in a remote access system that the IETF will use.   Any contract awarded based on this RFP will require the contractor to interact with the community.

BCP101 requires the IAOC to operate in a transparent manner.  I don't see how publishing an RFP to hire someone to write a specification that includes public review of the work and an IETF wide last call isn't transparent.  It would have been non-transparent if the IAOC had hired someone with out first doing a public RFP.  BCP101 doesn't require that everything the IAOC thinks about must be first sent to the community for review.

Bob