Re: 2119bis

On 8/31/11 9:48 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:
> Keith, Peter,
>
>> I think you're overgeneralizing. My experience is that judicious use
>> of SHOULD seems to make both protocols and protocol specifications
>> simpler; trying to nail everything down makes them more complex.
>
> I agree.
>
> In any case, Peter, I think its fine to add the NOT RECOMMENDED word to
> the boilerplate. Publish a spec on that, have it Update 2119, and then
> new RFCs would refer to that (say, 7119) instead of 2119

Yes, that is one path.

> and everyone
> would be happy.

I'm not sure that everyone would be happy, because I do think that some
clarifications and additional guidelines might be helpful. But those,
too, could go in a separate (likely Informational) document that would
not necessarily update (and certainly not obsolete) 2119.

> But I'm not quite sure why there are other changes in the text. Maybe I
> need to be educated better. On quick read I got more questions from it
> than what I get from 2119...

Thus the desirability of writing a separate document.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/