Re: 2119bis

Yes, and...

I would offer that for most cases, If Y then MUST X or If Z then MUST NOT X *are* what people usually mean when they say SHOULD.  In the spirit of Say What You Mean, a bare SHOULD at the very least raise an ID-nit, suggesting to the author to turn the statement into the if Y then MUST X or if Z then MUST NOT X form.  Being pedantic and pedagogic:
	SHOULD send a 1 UNLESS you receive a 0
really means
	UNLESS you receive a 0, one MUST send a 1.

My vision of the UNLESS clause is not necessarily a protocol state, but an environment state.  These are things that I can see fit the SHOULD/UNLESS form:
	SHOULD send a 1 UNLESS you are in a walled garden
	SHOULD flip bit 27 UNLESS you have a disk
	SHOULD NOT explode UNLESS you are a bomb
are all reasonable SHOULD-level statements.

I would offer that ANY construction of SHOULD without an UNLESS is a MAY.  Unless of course one considers us the Protocol Nanny's(tm) - if do not do a SHOULD, we will send you to bed without your treacle! I.e., there IS NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN A BARE SHOULD AND A MAY.