Re: Questionnaire to survey opinion concerning a possibleredefinition of UTC

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Michel Py <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marshall Eubanks
> So UTC would become a YATSCOT (Yet another time scale
> with a constant offset to TAI.)

Indeed, why not use TAI instead in the first place?

I have asked responsible parties about 2 of these cases (and, for that matter, Dennis McCarthy about UT1) and the answer always is, too much
legacy equipment and software. That will sound quaint in 500 years.

> I am not aware of any RFCs for sextant based celestial
> navigation (which WILL have to change).

If UTC was to change, that could mean some confusion for some sextant users I know who, before using their sextant, check their watch drift against the time provided by, ahem, their GPS receiver.

That is the reason for UTC, and the fact that they are getting it from GPS is the reason why no one really cares about keeping UTC close to UT1.

Regards
Marshall

Michel.