Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I really have to wonder if the entire yes/no-obj/discuss voting model
> is appropriate for document advancement. For initial approval at
> proposed, sure, having the ability to "discuss" the document makes
> all sorts of sense. But for subsequent steps that virtue is a lot
> obvious, to me at least.

   This, IMHO, is the right question: Does yes/no-obj/discuss resolve
the right issues when advancing from PS to DS?

   There is a perception, at least, that any AD can block progress to
DS (though in fact the process is more complicated, that's the way it's
perceived).

   I could somewhat-seriously suggest that the IESG shouldn't have to
vote at all on advancement to DS -- the right issues are questions of
fact which could perfectly well be delegated.

   (And wearing my Narrative-Scribe hat, I know how confusing it is
for IESG members to figure out what's expected of them when the question
is advancement of maturity level.)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>