Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

On 08/05/2011 20:11, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 8/5/2011 2:56 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> To me it boils down to you saying in effect, "Here is my way of working
>> with e-mail, and I'd like the IETF to support it." If there was a way
>> that we could do that which had no impact on people who don't work that
>> way (such as the List-Id header) then I'd say go for it! But for those
>> of us who already filter our mail into folders these [tags] are useless
>> clutter that take up valuable screen real estate.
>

> Doug,
>
> Perhaps you missed the part about this being common practice, including
> for other IETF mailing lists?

Why yes Dave, this is my first time writing an e-mail, or participating
in a, what do you call them? Mailing list? So thanks for pointing that
out to me.

> You are already suffering with the useless clutter.  The incremental
> pain for you is going to be nil.

That's the argument of someone who thinks that the thing proposed is a
good idea. If you believed it to be a bad idea I'm sure that you
wouldn't be suggesting that we add to the incremental pain.

>> If they break dkim that's a whole 'nother category of problems.
>
> DKIM is designed for to deal with one posting and one delivery.  Mailing
> lists take delivery and re-post.  For almost all scenarios, DKIM was not
> intended to survive re-posting.

I wasn't referring to the post from the originator to the list, I was
referring to the message posted from the list.

Doug

			-- OK Go