Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

On Aug 3, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Richard Kulawiec wrote:

> -1.
>
> This list complies with RFC 2919, which alleviates the need for the
> horrible, unscalable, obsolete, ugly kludge of Subject-line tags.
> I suggest that anyone who really, *really* wants them on their copies
> of messages arrange to have them added locally (perhaps by procmail or
> similar) and not force them on those of us who have chosen mail processing
> software that correctly uses List-Id.

Still a little confused how this morphed into a religious war on RFC 2919 / List-Id.  I *did* mention in the original post that I had been using List-Id to organize mail -- which would lead to folders with a few thousands of unread mails, which I would then unceremoniously dump, because it was just too much to deal with..

Subject-line tags allow me to just drop everything in the inbox and then, at a glance figure out what to read, and in what order. I then move the read stuff (and that that I don't care about) into separate mailboxes.

For those who want to do the same (regardless of whether your religious views), this little bit of procmail woks for me, ymmv:

# Add an [IETF] to messages to the IETF list.
:0 fw
* ^List-Id:[ ].*\<ietf\.ietf\.org\>