Re: 6to4v2 (as in ripv2)?

Le 27 juil. 2011 à 17:29, Michel Py a écrit :
>>> Fred Baker wrote:
>>> Actually, I think one could argue pretty
>>> effectively that 6rd is 6to4-bis.
>
> Indeed, and it also is a transition mechanism for the very same reasons
> that 6to4 is.
>

>> Keith Moore wrote:
>> only if you're confused about the use cases for each.
>
> Even if there are different use cases indeed (as you explained it very
> well yourself)

> you can't deny that 6rd is 6to4-bis.

Oh, yes indeed, on can!
(Depending, of course on what you mean with 6to4-bis, but no one can be sure what you mean).

- 6to4 delivers native IPv6 prefixes to customer sites, which 6to4 doesn't.
- 6to4 has known operational problems, not 6rd.

> The difference is in
> who configures/manages it,

> not how it works;

See above.

> the 6rd code base is a
> superset of the 6to4.

Although it has been convenient to deploy 6rd starting with existing 6to4 code, one can write 6rd code that doesn't work for 6to4.

> The difference is more a matter of network design
> than core protocol.

It is a matter of clean IPv6 service, transparent to users, vs service for experts who know what they are doing.

RD