Re: "6to4 damages the Internet" (was Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic (yet again))

On Jul 27, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Keith Moore wrote:
>
>>> I see clear evidence that 6to4 is damaging the Internet and although there are
>>> those who can use it without causing damage, I believe that the principle is
>>> 'First, do no harm'
>
>> I put the word "feature" in quotes because this can be a pain in the a**
>
> It means it's IPv6 which is damaging the Internet.

Except that the (v4) Internet is already doing its best to damage itself.   So the choice is between a thoroughly brain-damaged v4 Internet that is continually getting worse, and a somewhat less brain-damaged v6 Internet that has at least some chance of having a few things fixed - though all of the existing successful "content" and services are optimized for the v4 Internet.

But again, fixing the 6to4 version of this problem is relatively easy, and pretty much everybody agrees on mechanisms that will fix the problem.  The only disagreement is how to make the message as clear and effective as possible, and there are glimmers of hope in that area.

People just shouldn't get lulled into thinking that the problem will go away once 6to4 is fixed.

Keith