Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011/7/27 Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx>:
>> I don't think home users (neither professional users) has nothing to
>> decide here, they will not "resolve" the WS URI retrieved from a
>> webpage.
>
> I think you're wrong. Those are these users which ask for feature XXX or
> YYY that they like because it brings them a better experience. If you can
> find a real benefit for the end user, there will be an option in the browser
> and some of them will enable it. It's just important to find how an end user
> may benefit from making use of SRV tags when connecting to his favorite site
> instead of using just CNAME or A/AAAA. Maybe being able to always connect to
> less loaded servers would be appreciated, because some site maintainers will
> start announcing new servers. Maybe there are solutions to provide better
> geolocation using SRV than with A (ie: let the web browser decide which field
> to use instead of relying on its resolver's IP address). Maybe it will be
> possible for mobile users to automatically select a different port which is
> not subject to annoying transparent proxies at their provider. I don't know.
> You must think in terms of better experience which might be brought via
> better quality of service. Surely a DNS record might provide information to
> improve QoS based on the browser's decision.
>
>> So we are talking about webbrowser vendors, right? and typically there
>> are no more than.... 10?
>
> Browsers implement what their users ask for. They don't want to add features
> that are not desired and make experience worse or reduce reliability. But if
> users ask for something, they'll certainly implement it.

Well, I understand (and agree) most of your text, but I still think
that the URI resolution mechanism is something transparent for an
end-user. This is not like having FlashPlayer for showing annoying and
dancing menus in a web page XD. End-users ask for FlashPlayer (and
Android 2.3 has included it for example) but end-users won't ask for
"SRV procedures".

I would translate your arguments to "web developers", those who want
to provide scalable systems and for which having some kind of QoS
mechanisms (specially for mobile devices) is a great advantage. Of
course, if this happens then end-users would be happier :)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@xxxxxxxxx>