Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011/7/24 Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx>:
> To ensure nobody gets me wrong, I'm certain this can help solve issues
> *if this is optional*. If it becomes a MUST, then the negative effects
> will override the positive ones. In my opinion, the client should decide
> whether to enable it or not.

But I don't understand how a client is supposed to decide by himself
how to resolve a URI destination. If I give you my vcard containing my
SIP/XMPP/MAILTO URIs, I must expect that you would use *standarized*
mechanisms to locate the server for each service. In fact, in all
these cases (SIP, XMPP; MAILTO) the URI domain can point to several
IP:port (due to NAPTR / SRV / MX DNS records).

BTW: I know that any web browser would first lookup at the /etc/hosts
file when an URI is introduced. This would "replace" a DNS A/AAAA
query. Maybe NIS or whatever could also be used for this. It does not
break SIP/XMPP/MAILTO URI's resolutions: Initially NAPTR / SRV / MX
query would be performed and, if there is no such record (or there is
so we get hostnames for which DNS A must be performed) then the client
can check /etc/hosts for the "A" resolution (domain -> IP).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@xxxxxxxxx>