RE: [mpls] R: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi-05.txt> (Proactive Connectivity Verification, Continuity Check and Remote Defect indication for MPLS Transport Profile) to Proposed Standard

Hi Erminio:

<snipped>
>Several service providers regarded this draft as not meeting their
>transport networks' needs.

E> This is a true statement: the solution in this draft is useless for many MPLS- TP deployments.

The two statements do not necessarily follow.

What we established during discussions at the SG15 plenary in February was that the issue some service providers had was that the IETF BFD solution exceeded their requirements in that there was additional functionality they did not see a need for, and that they considered any additional functionality parasitic.

However this is a consequence of adapting an existing technology to a new application. I do not see any way around that. And the entire joint project was based on the premise of engineering re-use not greenfield design. That is what it said on the tin up front, and IMO why when the IETF started down this path packet transport transitioned from being a minority sport to mainstream, so it is a bit late to cry foul....

My 2 cents
Dave

were simply ignored. No LS describing these comments' resolution was sent.

>Several service providers regarded this draft as not meeting their
>transport
networks' needs.

>[The v03 draft was published in Feb and went to WG LC.
>The v04 draft addressing WG LC comments was published on the 28th June
>(same
date as the proto write-up).
>When was the WG LC launched, to verify LC comments resolution?]
>
>Regards,
>Rui

IESG