Re: SORBS blacklist

On Jul 1, 2011, at 9:59 AM, John Leslie wrote:

>   I'm _really_ poor at flame-wars, but Paul is begging here...

Actually, no I wasn't. People in the email world who know me know that I leave flamewars about spam before they even flicker.

What I am questioning is the notion that the IETF should spend money trying to avoid damage being done by popular but poorly-run services of any type. We could be having this argument about the IETF web site and a browser that will put up a warning if the HTML on a page is not fully compliant. I think you and I simply disagree on where it is useful to put IETF resources.

>   Please, everyone, understand that recipients _can't_ do the whole
> job on spam-abatement.

No one said they should. There is a huge difference between "recipients must do the whole job" and "recipients who choose poor tools should not expect the rest of the internet to try to work with their poor choices". It really is OK for us to say "there are better choices out there".

--Paul Hoffman