RE: Has anyone found a hotel for Quebec City that isn't exorbitant?

That's probably generally true, but I've had less-to-no trouble getting Las Vegas approval the few times I've needed to recently because the cost is so low these days.  It's reeling from a depressed economy, so cheap but good rooms are readily available as are conference facilities and air fares, and prices of things like food are down a bit to match.

I'm sure though that this audience would just complain about the heat and noise anyway.