Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

In message <BANLkTi=GGAY2U0sX54hnv7Bz7QDgrAjZ9H+8rwhmwkjK+9ssig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
, Lorenzo Colitti writes:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrot
> e:
>
> > > That said, I would argue that most or all 6to4 traffic could just as well
> > use IPv4, since both parties to the communication obviously have access to
> > public IPv4 address. What is the advantage of using 6to4 over IPv4 that
> > makes it worth suffering an 80% failure rate?
> >

> > it can communicate with hosts that have only IPv6,
> > it can communicate with hosts that are stuck behind a single IPv4 address
> > (if the router acts as a 6to4 gateway) without a NAT being in the way,
> > it can be used to develop and test IPv6 applications without having to
> > build a special-purpose network,
> > it can be used to deploy applications now that already support IPv6 and so
> > are in some sense future-proofed,
> > it can be deployed on either a single host or a network
>
> ... about 80% of the time.

Or 99.999% of the time once you get it setup.  The problem isn't 6to4, it's
*automatic* 6to4.

> I would argue that cases 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 can be solved more reliably using
> configured tunnels, and that case 2 is today solved more reliably, and in
> more cases (e.g., when no public IPv4 address is available at the border) by
> the various NAT traversal mechanisms that are implemented in applications.
> But I think we're just going around in circles here.

Which often times requires special software to be installed.  Tunnels
are a lot more hassle to setup and yes I've used both so I know.

6to4 historic is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx