Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

On Jun 10, 2011, at 09:38 , Lorenzo Colitti wrote:

> I fundamentally disagree. I really don't think that 6to4 is used by "lots" of people for applications that wouldn't just use (more reliable) IPv4 if 6to4 wasn't there.

The same is often said about IPv6 in general.

That's not meant to be snarky quip.  When you limit the population under observation to just current IPv6 users and leave out the vast teeming masses of people who are routed IPv4-only, I suspect the data will show that a significant fraction of people are still using 6to4 as a general network-layer NAT-avoidance mechanism because it continues to work for them, setting up a manual tunnel-broker account takes an order of magnitude more effort, and who has time?  Very few of the people using 6to4 in this way will show up in Google's user behavior analysis, of course, because Google doesn't run its own 6to4 return-path relay as I-D.ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory recommends.

The way to find these people is to crawl the BitTorrent networks.  What's that old maxim?  "You can't test what you don't measure."  Do you measure the BitTorrent networks?

--
james woodyatt <jhw@xxxxxxxxx>
member of technical staff, core os networking