Re: Last Call: <draft-harkins-ipsecme-spsk-auth-03.txt> (Secure PSK Authentication for IKE) to Informational RFC

  Hi Mykyta,

  Thank you for reviewing my draft. Responses inline....

On Sat, March 26, 2011 10:06 pm, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A question on the flowing extract:
>
>> This memo contains a new numberspace to be managed by IANA, a
>>     registry used to indicate a password preprocessing technique.  The
>>     initial layout of this registry SHALL be:
>>
>>     o   0x00 : None
>>
>>     o   0x01 :RFC2759  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2759>
>>
>>     o   0x02 : SASLprep
>>
>>     The Prep field is 8 bits long and all other values are available
>>     through assignment by IANA.  IANA is instructed to assign values
>>     based on "Specification Required" (see [RFC5226
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226>]).
> It contains the description of new registry. but it fails to give it the
> distinctive definition.  Among other, what is the exact name of the
> registry?  How are the fields named?  The sentence "The Prep field is 8
> bits long and all other values are available through assignment by
> IANA." also makes me confusing.  This means that the Prep field is not
> assigned by IANA?  Finally, 0x00 is Unassigned or Reserved?
>
> Thus, this extract needs more clarification.

  How would the following look to you:

  "This memo contains a new numberspace to be managed by IANA, the
   password preprocessing method (Prep) registry. The initial layout
   of this registry SHALL be:

   o   0x00 : None (no preprocessing is performed)

   o   0x01 : RFC2759

   o   0x02 : SASLprep

   The Prep field is 8 bits long and all other values are available
   through assignment by IANA.  IANA is instructed to assign values
   based on "Specification Required" (see [RFC5226])."

  regards,

  Dan.