Politics and technology, was Call for a Jasmine Revolution

On 12/Apr/11 18:31, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Todd,
>
> This is totally confused and you are completely wrong.
>
>    Under the Federal Election Campaign Act
>    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Election_Campaign_Act>, an
>    organization becomes a "political committee" by receiving
>    contributions or making expenditures in excess of $1,000 for the
>    purpose of influencing a federal election
>    [Source Wikipedia]
>
> Since neither the IETF nor ISOC has any interest in influencing a
> federal election, nor does it engage in any activity intended to do
> so, it is not a political committee under the terms of the act.

The way politics is currently being done is not necessarily adequate.

Let me just note that the root problem is that we are sharing this
planet among a few billions individuals.  That is certainly a
political problem.  However, given that communication is potentially
proportional to the square of the communicating parties, it is also a
technical problem.  I claim that it is not possible to neatly discern
between political and technical issues, although only one of those
two aspects appears to be dominant in many specific cases.  To
justify this claim, suffice it to say that the /amount/ of traffic
has a paramount physical limit, time, whose use cannot be regulated
by any single-sided approach --either political or technical, only.
For an example: spam.

Is it an only-technical problem to devise adequate means for politics?
For the reciprocal question, whether politics should intrude into
technology, the ISOC, talking about the IETF and similar bodies,
recommends that politics do not "assert any authority over those
organizations by any mechanism" [1].  So, how do we tackle spam and
similar issues where neither aspect is prevalent?

1. ISOC's response to NTIA request for comments on IANA functions
http://isoc.org/wp/newsletter/files/2011/03/Internet-Society-Response-Docket.pdf