Re: Last Call: draft-lear-iana-timezone-database

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your comments.

On 4/12/11 2:47 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
> I support this document. I have a few suggestions:
>
> Section 1: Is it worth mentioning that the reference code includes an
> implementation of the ISO/IEC 9899 C and IEEE 1003.1 POSIX time functions?

Added.

> Section 3: The term "TZ name" should be used instead of "key" in the
> update criteria, to avoid confusion with the cryptographic key mentioned
> earlier in the section.

Changed.

> Criterion 1 could perhaps be clearer. Do I understand correctly that the
> intent is something like "New keys are only to be created when it is found
> that the region a TZ name was envisioned to cover does not all follow the
> same set of timezone rules between 1970 and the present day." That is, the
> thing that must be "accurately reflected" is the scope of the TZ rule, not
> its name or anything else.

Thank you.  That term "scope" does make things considerably clearer.
I've adjusted the text as follows:
> New TZ names (e.g. locations) are only to be created when the
> scope of the region a name was envisioned to cover is no longer accurate.

> Is it worth documenting the naming scheme here, or would that be unhelpful?

I think that probably goes too far, but could be convinced otherwise.
> Typo: "policy policy".
>
> Section 5: Should the document explicitly mention that rough consensus of
> the TZ list should also be used when considering an appeal to the IESG?

I believe the rules are clear, but others should comment.
> Section 6 and 8: The term "identity" appears whereas section 3 used "well
> known key". Is "identity" supposed to imply something more complicated
> than a key, such as an x.509 certificate?

I am leaving that for IANA to decide.  Right now there's nothing, so
anything would be better ;-)

Thanks again,

Eliot