Re: [Full-disclosure] IPv6 security myths

Hi, Fred,

> I'm not a security guru, and will step aside instantly if someone
> with those credentials says I'm wrong. However, from my perspective,
> the assertion that IPv6 had any security properties that differed
> from IPv4 *at*all* has never made any sense. It is essentially a
> marketing claim, and - well, we all have marketing departments.

The problem probably is that this sort of claim has been made in
supposedly-technically-savvy forums. Many, if not most, (supposedly)
technical reports on IPv6 security assert that "IPv6 provides improved
security as a result of *" (where "*" is usually "mandatory IPsec
support", but may also be "security not being an add-on, but rather
carefully thought during the design of the protocol", etc.)

These claims are very usual e.g. in IPv6 Task Forces
circles/documents/papers/reports. (IIRC, there was one of such documents
published by the North American IPv6 Task Force). The recent EU IPv6
security paper seems to assume that IPsec deployment will increase
dramatically as a result of IPv6 deployment. And even parts of the
recent NIST report on IPv6 secure deployment assumes "improved security"....

> In the scope of things, wh does having one of out of the many needed
> tools make IPv6 different than IPv4, especially given that the
> indicated tool is present in both IPv4 and IPv6 implementations?
>
> Scratch-a-my-head. I don't see it.

Nor do I ;-)

Thanks!

Kind regards,