Re: Nomcom 2010-2011: READ THIS: Important Information on Open Disclosure

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:19 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> On 2010-09-22 04:29, NomCom Chair wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> A few folks have submitted some very helpful comments and I'd
>> like to share the answers publicly.
>>
>> Q: If the List is Open why does it require a Login?
> I am a bit mystified. Since the IETF is open to anyone who
> cares to participate, there is no finite community within
> which to keep this list (or any other non-confidential
> information). Once the list of willing candidates is released,
> it is just as public as anything else in the IETF, as far as I
> can see. RFC 5680 is pretty clear about this:

(Off list -- if Tom thinks this is relevant, he is welcome to
respond)

There is one difference between "login with credentials that are
known to everyone" and "no login required" and that is whether
the names are picked up by the usual search engines.  It is not
clear to me that the open disclosure of candidates requirement
was intended to create a "by agreeing to be a candidate, one
makes the fact of having done so an extremely public and
permanent record".  Certainly that does nothing to further the
IETF's processes; it may or may not be helpful to the candidate
(but, under the current rules, I think any candidate who wants
to make his or her candidacy public is [still] able to do so in
other ways).

So, while I share some of the concerns about the way in which
this is being done, I think it may be reasonable to keep the
information from becoming mechanically public.

     john