Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

If we do not plan on doing any sightseeing or don't have any specific plans ahead of time, what is the process for requesting a letter of invitation from the host?  I'm slightly perplexed that an attendee wanting such seems to be an odd request, when the information on the Chinese websites states quite clearly that a business visa is needed despite the anecdotal experiences of folks that seem to have successfully traveled to China in similar situations without having any problems.

Thanks,
Mary.

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Ray Pelletier <rpelletier@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 24, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
>>
>> Many countries we go to attend IETF meetings would probably require "business"
>> visa but we go there as tourists on a visa waiver program.
>
> I don't quite understand this discussion.  Why not ask
> the host what they recommend?

The Host recommends a Tourist visa if you will be doing any sightseeing before or after the IETF meeting.

Ray
IAD